Yesterday marked World Health Day 2011.
The theme for this year is Antimicrobial Resistance: "no action today means no cure tomorrow".
The statement by Dr Margaret Chan (WHO Director-General) can be found here, while the WHO's policy recommendations are available for download or viewing here. In brief:
- Commit to a comprehensive, financed national plan with accountability and civil society engagement.
- Strengthen surveillance and laboratory capacity.
- Ensure uninterrupted access to essential medicines of assured quality.
- Regulate and promote rational use of medicines.
- Enhance infection prevention and control.
- Foster innovation and research & development for new tools.
Tan Tock Seng Hospital held an exhibition at its atrium from 5th April until today. The details - including an online pamphlet - are available here.